About the TitlePLUS Program
For most people, their home may be their largest financial asset. One way to protect that asset is to purchase title insurance.
TitlePLUS title insurance is the only all-Canadian title insurance product on the market today and is available from coast to coast. It was developed in 1997 by Lawyers' Professional Indemnity Company (LAWPRO) with input from real estate lawyers.
Transactions that qualify
TitlePLUS title insurance is available through real estate lawyers for:
- purchases or refinances of new or resale residential properties, including rural properties and condominiums;
- home owners who did not obtain title insurance at the time of purchase (OwnerEXPRESS®);
- purchases or refinances of commercial and farm properties in Ontario; and
- leasehold properties in Ontario and Nunavut.
A TitlePLUS policy is tailored to the specific property/transaction and provides coverage for:
- the legal services provided by the lawyer closing the real estate deal (excluding OwnerEXPRESS policies and Québec policies);
- unpredictable or undetectable issues such as fraud, forgery, missing heirs and/or unregistered easements;
- issues affecting registered title, including rights-of-way and/or construction liens;
- the legal costs associated with defending title to the property if a fraud is perpetrated against the property; and
- common problems such as access rights and conflicting interests in the property.
For examples of claims, click here.
TitlePLUS policyholders can be confident that their policy will be valid for as long as they, or their heirs, own the property. Please refer to the TitlePLUS policy for full details, including actual terms and conditions.
A TitlePLUS policy can save money by reducing certain searches and inquiries, and in most cases, eliminating the need for an up-to-date survey. The premium for a TitlePLUS policy is paid only once. Typically the buyers, borrowers or home owners pay the premium for the policy. For policy pricing, click here.
Only TitlePLUS title insurance standardizes legal services by requiring that lawyers follow a defined set of searches, inquires and procedures.
TitlePLUS title insurance works like other types of insurance: if there is a problem that is covered by the policy, the policyholder simply contacts us directly to report a claim.
Locate a Lawyer: Our lawyer referral service allows you to search our database for the names, addresses and contact information of up to five TitlePLUS-subscribing lawyers from coast to coast.
Confirmed Lenders: The TitlePLUS department has established strong working relationships with major banks, trust companies, credit unions and other lending institutions across Canada. To help streamline real estate transactions, we publish a list of our Confirmed Lenders, including their requirements.
If you are a lawyer and wish to learn more about the TitlePLUS program, click here.